Marinated portobello steaks grilled and served with a spicy sauce!
This is an incredible plant-based meal that is hearty, delicious and easy to prepare in just 30 minutes. Due to their meaty texture and rich umami flavour, mushrooms are popular among vegans and meat lovers alike. While they do not precisely replace meat, they serve as an excellent substitute in many recipes, such as vegan meatballs and vegan bolognese sauce.
If you're looking for a great way to make vegan burgers and steaks, portobello mushrooms are a great option. Despite their lightness, they are really satisfying! With just four ingredients and 30 minutes, you can make these juicy Portobello Steaks. These mushroom steaks are a perfect vegan dinner recipe if you're looking for an easy yet satisfying meal to add to your rotation.
The best part is you don't need an outdoor grill to char them to perfection. You can grill or cook these steaks on the stovetop or grill pans, and even cast-iron skillets work great as they will give your steaks a pleasant smoky taste.
So, get ready to marinate, grill, and enjoy!
Portobello mushrooms - 4 large
Vegan Worcestershire or BBQ Sauce - 2 tbsp
Balsamic vinegar – 1 tbsp
Olive oil- 1 tbsp
Fresh garlic – 1 clove
Granulated onion - 2 tbsp
Salt - ½ tsp
- No need to worry if this is your first time shrooming! The process is relatively easy. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or baking dish. If necessary, add more seasoning.
- Spread the marinade liberally over the mushrooms and place them in the dish. If you prefer, you can also spoon it on. There is no need to submerge the mushrooms in the marinade; make sure they are well coated. Stem-side up, let the mushrooms marinate for 20-30 minutes in the fridge. Remember, the more you marinate, the richer the flavour.
- To grill the mushrooms, heat a pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is piping hot, add olive oil and a little of the leftover marinade and then place the mushrooms on the pan, stem-side down, leaving ample space between them.
- Once they are in the pan, don't move them, gently press them down with a spatula. Sear the mushrooms on each side for 3-5 minutes until they turn golden brown and tender. Add more oil if necessary and brush it with more marinade.
- After that, remove your juicy mushroom steak from the heat and slice them. Serve with your favourite sauce, along with fries, vegetables, tacos, or sandwiches or over a bowl of pasta, zoodles, or quinoa salad. You can use the leftover marinade for gravy to serve alongside the steak.
- To clean the mushrooms, use a slightly damp paper towel or a soft brush. Because they are sponge-like, they will absorb a great deal of water and become soggy.
- When adding mushrooms to the pan/ grill, make sure it's searing hot.
- Ensure you don't overcrowd the skillet, or the mushrooms will steam and produce plenty of moisture. Also, the mushrooms won't brown if there are too many in the pan. The best way is to do them in batches.
To shop for premium quality mushrooms, head to the Farmbox website or mobile app and place your order now.