The team here at farmbox has found another solution in getting the freshest produce from the farms to your homes, by collaborating with like-minded people; the clever owners of The Little Soup Shop. The founders of the restaurant, Spero Panagakis, and Chef Alex Stumpf created an idea that came to them from thinking back, really back, at the time humans started cooking. Soup is as old as the history of cooking. Back then (20,000 years ago), water was boiled in big clay pots and people would add in any available ingredients that were around. This provided them with a big dish that is fulfilling, tasty, and feeds many.
Now that we live a fast-paced life, it sometimes gets difficult to sustain a healthy lifestyle. It’s much easier to eat the first thing you see, not knowing its nutritional value. One of the co-founders of this concept, says that their main focus upon creating their soup recipes is to follow the “5 a day” requirement. This is based on research that proves that the daily requirement per person for fruits and veggies should be 5 portions. So they created their own range of soups by carefully selecting veggies that blend together to create delicious creamy soups that are dairy-free and less than 400 calories each.
Yes, it's summer. But can we wait till fall season to have pumpkin? Maybe. Will we? NO!
This versatile vegetable can solely fill out a table with savory and sweet dishes. We were lucky enough to get the chance to visit their kitchen to cook up a hearty pumpkin soup. Watching the soup come together was like getting a big warm hug in the middle of winter; all the flavorful aroma of the spices intertwining with the roasted pumpkin oozing of flavor straight out of the oven, giving us the perfect color to our plate and exactly what we need to get through the day. Wrapping it all up with the pleasant company of the creators of this magic.
- 1kg Red Pumpkin
- 1kg Butternut Squash
- 500g Sweet Potato
- 500g Brown Onion
- 6g Peeled Garlic
- 2g Nutmeg
- 1g Cloves
- 10g Cinnamon
- 2g Turmeric
- 1 Bay leaf
- Peel Pumpkin, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes. Cut the red pumpkin in wedges and layer them on a tray,
- Cut Sweet potato and Butternut squash in cubes mix and place in a deeper tray.
- Sprinkle both Pumpkins generously with light olive oil and season with Salt.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and bake the Pumpkin for 30-40min or till Soft.
- In the meantime set all spices aside and peel the brown onions and garlic, cut in 2 cm size cubes.
- Heat up a flat pot add 50ml olive oil and sauté onions and garlic till lightly brown, reduce the heat and add one by one the spices, sauté them to release all flavors.
- Add all pumpkin and fill up till covered with Vegetable stock or filtered water.
- Bring the Stock to boil while stirring the mix to avoid burning on the bottom.
- Once all cooked soft, turn off the heat and let it cool down a little and start blending with Smoothie mixer.
- While blending keep adding 30ml of light olive oil and blitz it in. Blend each batch at least for 1 min.
- Season with salt and perhaps a little Maple Syrup if you like to add a little Sweetness.
Luckily, you can now shop the soups at farmbox. Check the links below:
P.s. It makes a great office lunch!