Have you actively noticed how much plastic you are using? if not, then you should consider starting today. Now, I'm not implying that single-use plastic has become an issue only recently, but it has been an ongoing issue that arose more than ever during Covid-19 period. What exactly is single-use plastic? The U.N. Environment report on single-use plastics defines it as “items intended to be used only once before they are thrown away or recycled.” Makes you think about all the single-use masks and gloves that have been used and where will they end up?
We have been hearing about the harm plastic is doing to the world, yet it seems to be the last of many people's worries. So let me jot down a few of issues resulting from Plastic:
- Contamination of water and soil.
- Harming wildlife animals.
- Majority of disposed plastic cannot be recycled and ends up in landfills (only 9% of plastic is recycled)
- Greenhouse gas emissions from the plastic participate in the rise of global temperature.
To elaborate further, The bigger chunk of non-recycled single-use plastic that goes to landfills does not breakdown. Plastic photo-degrades, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment, making its way into animal bodies and humans through soil (plants), eventually harming all living creatures.
How do we deal with it?
It is difficult to flip your life around in one go. So, its good to start with a few steps and start upgrading your environmentally friendly life from there. Let's begin with those steps:
- Use cloth or reusable shopping bags instead of plastic bags. farmbox is taking part in decreasing the use of single-use plastic by providing you with reusable Jute bags for your groceries.
- Bring your own coffee mugs and water bottles. If that's not possible, go the extra mile and make sure you go to a coffee shop that serves in paper cups rather than plastic.
- Avoid non-recycled plastic bottles and plastic straws. Re-usable metal straws are super easy to keep in your bag. Or as per the previous point, look for the alternative paper/bamboo straws.
- Buy items in bulk to reduce plastic packaging. farmbox.ae can help you do your groceries with minimal use of plastic by sending everything in one recyclable box.
- Be more aware of the food packaging in stores and support environmentally friendly companies. You will be shocked at how much plastic is used unnecessarily. Check out this article on the biggest plastic polluters in the world.
One of the visions of farmbox.ae is to minimize and eventually eliminate the use of plastic by 2022. The impact and support from our suppliers and customers might look small, but you need to start somewhere to make a change in the world.
We are aware that single-use plastic bags were wasteful and costly to the environment. We have created farmbox Eco-Bag to prioritize the environment and reduce the use of plastic bags. It's made from jute material which is a natural vegetable fibre made from the outer stem and skin of a jute plant.
Order it today! It's good for you, it's good for the planet.
Surely, many of you have your ideas on how to use less plastic. Let us know your ways to help us all keep the world beautiful together.