This is a classic and simple pumpkin soup, prepared with fresh pumpkins, that comes together quickly. Thick, creamy, and flavourful!
With just 189 calories per serving, this pumpkin soup is extremely healthy!
You will need the following ingredients to prepare this delicious quick and easy pumpkin soup:
- 1.2 kg / 2.4 lb pumpkin (any type) OR butternut squash – Peeled and sliced into large pieces (or you can also purchase it pre-cut).
- 1 sliced onion and 2 cloves of garlic peeled – Are the hidden components that bring extra savoury flavour to the soup.
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable or chicken broth/stock – This is the ingredient that makes the soup all the more tastier.
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup (125 - 185 ml) cream OR milk OR half and half of both
If you don't have cream but still want your soup to be rich and creamy, add a bit of butter!
- Cut the pumpkin into 3cm / 2.25cm cubes. Peel the outer skin and scrape out the seeds.
- In a saucepan, combine the pumpkin, onion, garlic, broth, and water; the liquid would not completely cover the pumpkin. Then let it boil uncovered, and simmer to low heat.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft (check with a butter knife).
- Remove from the heat and mix with a stick blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then mix in the cream.
- Pour the soup into bowls, top with a dollop of cream, and garnish with pepper and parsley, if preferred. Serve with hot crusty bread!
To add an extra touch of flavour to your pumpkin soup below are some suggestions:
- Thai red curry
- To begin, heat 1/2 tbsp oil over medium heat and sauté 2 tbsp red curry paste;
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until truly fragrant, before continuing with the instructions, such as adding liquids and pumpkin, etc.
- Then, instead of cream, substitute with coconut cream and then garnish with coriander/cilantro.
1 ½ teaspoon powdered turmeric, 1 teaspoon coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lightly spiced
Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin, coriander, and smoky paprika.
Get started today! Add all the fresh vegetables from the ingredient list to your cart and keep us posted in the comments below on how your soup turned out!