A big slab of cauliflower is not the first thing that comes to mind when most of us hear the word "steak," But that's about to change: this hearty cauliflower steak recipe is a vegetarian dinner choice that will be loved by even the most staunch of meat-eaters.
The best thing about these steaks: it only takes 20 minutes to make them, so it's easy on Christmas Eve to whip them up alongside a turkey or as a fast and easy anytime dinner.
1 large head cauliflower
1 tsp ground cumin
5 tbsp. canola oil
1/4 c. loosely packed coriander, finely chopped
1/4 c. loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
3 tbsp. red grape vinegar
1 small clove garlic, crushed with press
1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Trim leaves and any excess stem from cauliflower. Stand cauliflower on stem end and slice off about ¼ inch. Cut 2 slices from center of cauliflower (each about 1 inch thick); reserve rounded wedges for another use.
- Combine cumin and 1 tbsp. canola oil. Brush all over cauliflower slices.
- Sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt.
- In 12-inch oven-safe skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil on medium-high until hot.
- Add cauliflower; cook 3 minutes. Turn slices over.
- Place skillet in 425°F oven; roast 15 to 20 minutes or until stem is tender when pierced with tip of paring knife.
- Meanwhile, stir together coriander, parsley, vinegar, garlic, jalapeño, remaining 2 tbsp. oil, and ⅛ tsp. salt.
- Spoon herb sauce onto finished "steaks."